Established as Northumberland County’s seat in 1681, Heathsville is the oldest seat of government in the Northern Neck of Virginia. Today, its historic district, running along Northumberland Highway (Hwy. 360), is centered at the Old County Courthouse, surrounded by antebellum plantation complexes.
With a grant from the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development’s Building Collaborative Communities Program, the Northern Neck Planning District Commission assisted Historic Heathsville, Inc., in the production of the Historic Heathsville Walking Tour brochure. A PDF copy of the brochure can be viewed here, or follow the tour’s route by means of this online map.
Special thanks to Richard Stodart, artist and author, for his graphic design services; Stuart McKenzie, Northumberland County planner, for assistance with the mapping; and Corinne Becker for photography. The historical content in the brochure was provided by Tom Wolf, President, and Bruce Craig, Board Member of the Northumberland County Historical Society. The Northumberland County Economic Development Commission assisted in coordinating the effort.